Sunday, October 7, 2007

Training Log - Mount Diablo Challenge Oct 7

Oct 7 - Debrief

Oct 6:
T minus 1 day until the race. There still hasn't been word whether Floyd Landis will participate, but we'll know for sure by 8:30am tomorrow; my guess is that he'll be a no-show.

I dread the anticipated cold temps tomorrow morning, but it seems we're in for a little warming trend: at least this morning at 7am, it was already 40F at the summit, and by 10am a whopping 43F. Good thing that I didn't experience it personally, because I had decided to rest today, therefore slept until 10am. Instead I ventured into the yard for some exercise this morning, but my wife insists that I should go for a ride. Ok then, I'll think about it.

GMR, thanks for the best wishes!

Oct 3-5:
Rest days.
The temperature outlook for Sunday morning: COLD; this morning at 7am at the summit: 34F.

Oct 2:
Lunch ride, 16.9 miles, 1956 ft of climbing. This brings my total mileage since Aug 26 to 401 miles.

Oct 1:
Rest day. 6 days left until the race. Since Aug 26, I rode 384 miles, and climbed Diablo three times. My goal for Sunday: 1:30h; this means not taking any breaks.

My blog is is getting several hits a day, referred by search engines, where visitors queried for combinations of "Floyd", "Landis", "Diablo" and "Challenge". All I know is that Floyd Landis is registered to start in Wave #1, with Bib# 60; whether or not he will actually participate, is still an open question, but the outlook is not good.

Sep 30:
Another day at Diablo, 1:44h for the climb including 15 minutes worth of stops, riding time 1:29h, total mileage today: 41.1 miles. Today I also reached my goal of 2500 miles for this year; last year's mileage I already reached on Aug 12.

Sep 29:
39.3 miles, negligible elevation gain/loss. I'm not sure yet whether or not to ride Diablo tomorrow, but if I do, I need to wait until later that morning for the temperature to be bearable; this morning at 10am, it was just 44F up at the summit. Next Sunday's Diablo challenge starts at 8:30am (8:45am for my wave), so I should expect similar temperatures then. Time to go looking for the full-finger gloves.

Sep 26-28:
Rest days.

Sep 25:
Lunch ride with TBV, 16 miles, 1956 ft of climbing.

Sep 24:
Rest day.

Sep 23:
Diablo uninteruptus. Today we attempted to climb Diablo without taking a break at the Junction, so we continued. Women and 70-year old men blew by us. I could maintain a higher speed so I dropped TBV, who later had to abort due to a broken chain; I arrived at the summit ~1:33h after leaving at Athenian School. Now that I'm home, I'll soon a enjoy a really nice nap.

Sep 22:
The day started with rain and 52 degrees. By the afternoon, the sun came out, and I went on a quick, 15.5 mile ride in the hills around my house, 1859 ft of climbing.

Sep 21:
Friday = Rest day.

Sep 20:
Today I planned to ride, and I should have, but... well... . I doubt that today's verdict increased the likelihood that Floyd Landis will show up on Oct 7.

Sep 17-19:
Rest days.

Sep 16:
After yesterday's dismal performance, I was anticipating similar suffering for today's planned ride up Diablo. But with cool weather and TBV as an accomplice, I managed to pace myself well, even riding about half the time in the middle chain ring; in the end we clocked 1:38h, including a couple short breaks amounting to 12 minutes, bringing the ride time to 1:26h. In last year's Mt. Diablo Challenge, this would have been the 804th place.

Sep 15:
Finally; the first ride in 12 days, and it was as bad as I expected it. 41.0 miles, from Pleasanton to Livorna Rd, and then a failed attempt to at least climb up Diablo to South Gate; my legs felt like Rubber Ducky's, and I turned around about half way there.

Sep 11:
Today I received my bib# and wave# in the mail: 878 / 4; I bet I'll finish 878th. On Sunday, Sep 16, I'll tackle Diablo along with TBV; let's see how much damage those 12 days will have done. TBV's record is 1:37h, and I should not be slower than him (you know, losing face and that sort of thing).

Sep 8-14:
Mandatory rest days ... don't laugh; my parents are in town from Germany, so I had to skip this weekend, and it doesn't look any better for the remaining week. Looking forward to Sat Sep 15 ...

Sep 4-7:
Rest days. The haze due to the Moonlight Fire in Plumas County makes for some real bad air quality here today, so this is Sep 6's excuse. Sep 7 is a Friday, what do you expect ?

Sep 3:
68.6 miles, 6066ft of climbing.

Sep 2:
I think I mentioned that today would be a rest day. Today's also a day where it's gotten so hot that it's best to finish a ride by 10am; normally a time when I'd start.

Sep 1:
40 miles, Pleasanton - Walnut Creek and back, mostly flat. By the time I finished around noon, the thermometer read 91 F.

Aug 31:
Seriously, who rides on Fridays anyway ? Right here, from the front lobby to the 2nd floor of the parking garage: 15 ft climbing. I plan to ride tomorrow, and a longer ride with the crowd is scheduled for Monday.

Aug 30:
(cough, cough) ... but I have two excuses today:
1. TBV didn't show up for the Thursday ride
2. I'm hungry, so I rather go for lunch

Aug 29:
Looks like another rest day today ...

Aug 28:
Rest day; at least I rode the bike from the 3rd floor of the parking garage to the front lobby: 0.2 miles, 0 ft climbing, 30 ft descent.

Aug 27:
Rest day; and No, I won't be holding a press conference today.

Aug 26:
Last night, body snatchers replaced my legs with some real crappy ones ... at least this is how they felt when I started the Old La Honda Rd climb as part of today's 40-mile ride (bikely.com insists on a little bit less, but on 3728 ft of climbing). Or maybe it was the wine last night ?

Aug 25:
First order of the day was to finally get rid of my aero-bar; 2 pounds and further back pain saved. But preparations don't go well otherwise: today's anticipated ride was replaced by yard work and house cleaning, and I'm looking to an evening with wine, women and song, instead of getting a rest for the usual Sunday ride on the Peninsula. Oh well, there are still 37 days left; training can start tomorrow: Old La Honda Rd, Pescadero, and if I feel like it, Tunitas Creek. I also plan to ride twice during the week, skipping lunch for a quick escape into the surrounding hills.

2 comments:

GMR said...

Pommi,

I have been following your training schedule and I think my pace is similar to yours. It would have been fun to be there.

Ride well! Looking forward to your debrief!
GMR

daniel m (a/k/a Rant) said...

Pommi,

Well done. Looks like your official time was a bit faster than TBV's. Next year, if I've got the vacation time available, I may make the trek out from Wisconsin to take a shot at the revered Mt. Diablo.