Thursday, February 1, 2007

Thu, Feb 1

Today we returned from our trip to the Big Island of Hawaii; this week just passed too quickly. The rental bike didn't have a cycling computer, so the 112 miles I've cycled are only an estimate. Unless you venture straight up into the hills with inclines of about 15%, the only alternative riding around Kona is going up and down Queen Kaahumanu Highway. The Saturday morning ride was a blast; with my Specialized Allez I felt like the poorest guy in the peloton, with many cyclists riding the real good and expensive bikes, often equipped with TT handlebars. The only other eventful ride was on the morning when I was supposed to return the bike. The ride took me north from here until here when I realized two things: a flat tire, and dark rain clouds approaching from the south. A few minutes later, it was the first time ever when I did NOT mind changing a tube in pouring rain, and later, riding back to town: it was like a warm shower. Now I need to adjust back to local temperatures; shorts and slippahs are not keeping one warm right now.

2007 riding stats: #of rides: 8, annual mileage: 274, pace: 3125.

No comments: